The Nameless Ones

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Nameless Ones

WELCOME TO THE N1 FORUMS

+6
Jersquall
Asuka
groovy341
Veago
NJShadow
BitRunner
10 posters

"My Dream Home" and "Our Dream Clubhouse" Ideas

BitRunner
    BitRunner
    Code Breaker

Number of posts : 380
    Registration date : 2009-02-19

"My Dream Home" and "Our Dream Clubhouse" Ideas Empty "My Dream Home" and "Our Dream Clubhouse" Ideas

Post  BitRunner Fri Mar 13, 2009 3:14 am

Backstory

So a while back, I posted a thread asking if there were any 3d graphicians around. My intent was to make an unofficial contest for 3d graphics artists to design their own home and I would furnish a prize to the winner ($100 PSN Card, $50 for 2nd/3rd place). Unfortunately, I found out you can't do an unofficial contest on the PS Home forums, so I scrapped the idea.

THREAD

About a month later down the road, flacotanner posted a thread about creating your own home space. It fell off later after the amount of bickering and general graphician e-peen that ran rampant in that thread, and generally the ideas presented weren't really well fleshed out or professional by any long stretch. However, I made a post somewhere in that thread showing some preliminary images that I'll soon show here for my project.

THREAD

So finally I decided, why not make an actual home, and have it as a community project, where we flesh out the intricate details and make a house that people will actually want to BUY and maybe even hand it over to Sony to produce it, based on creating a highly professional work that is both technically feasible and also generic enough that a lot of people can benefit from it, not just a few people. Hell, why not make a few of these, with the input of the community, and let's even go into clubhouses and really run with the idea!

So that said, without further adieu, let's cut to the chase and allow me to introduce you to the first of hopefully many of...

"My Dream Home" and "Our Dream Clubhouse" Ideas Dreamhomelogo

A Quick Tour (btw I'm cutting and pasting mostly from my original thread if you've seen it)

A Side Note: Most of you guys know I just came back from a nasty HDD crash, and as such took some downtime. I was hoping to have some preliminary sketches ready, but I'll have to trust you guys for now to use your imagination.

Overview

"My Dream Home" and "Our Dream Clubhouse" Ideas Dreamhomeio6
    (Fig 1. Preliminary overview layout)

The house is a two-story model (this is a ghost shaded view from Rhino 3D), featuring lots of different rooms with different functions and also extra space for expansion.

First Floor

"My Dream Home" and "Our Dream Clubhouse" Ideas Dreamhome1fiv4
    (Fig 2. First floor preliminary layout)

Foyer: As you walk in, you'll be greeted with a directory of the house in front of you as a texture, and behind it a small fountain (particle system). Up above on the balcony you'll see a large video screen playing (not shown), perfect for displaying a "welcome to my home" video for your friends. Towards the back of the foyer will be an area that can be used for a living room, or you can use the back dining room section as a living room.

Art Gallery: Show off your picture frames and sculptures to your friends. In the back is a large rounded area with a sky light, just for getting down the perfect lighting conditions and stunning contrasts.

Office: Your own personal office in Home! Display XML-based RSS recent feeds from your favorite news sources (PS Blogs, Kotaku, Slashdot, etc) as wall furniture that you can select to display the PS3 Browser for those sites. Follow your favorite sports teams and players with the EA Sports Tracker. View weather and local news on the Life with Playstation furniture item, select it to open up LWP and view other cities.

Community Room: Gives you access to the Playstation Home forums, your own personal blogs, as well as other community interaction related features.

"My Garage": Unlock your favorite cars from GT5 and display them in your garage to your friends! Take your car out on the Home Test Track, or race against your friends for the best times on the Home Autobahn.

Dining Room/Living Room: Enjoy a room with contemporary windows for a perfect view of the outside. Make it your way!

"My Dream Home" and "Our Dream Clubhouse" Ideas Stairs2ca6
    (Fig 3. Those stairs... took a long f*cking time to model! Very Happy (this was an early VRay render of the stairs))

Second Floor

"My Dream Home" and "Our Dream Clubhouse" Ideas Dreamhome2ftd8
    (Fig 4. Second floor preliminary layout)

Game Room: Enjoy a large game room, perfect for arranging pool tables as well as arcade games.

Media Room: Enjoy a quiet room for private viewing of videos and audio.

Rock Band Practice Room: Get some practice, or challenge your friends to quick games of select Rock Band titles in the practice room. Pick up your guitar, drums, or mic, and show off your skills.

So now that you've seen the preliminary idea, why N1s? Simple, we've got some great talent here. I want us to get together, talk about improvements, even share some of the design work (draperies, windows, all kinds of things need to be designed and I want it to be our work, not 3dtotal.com, or some other commercial site, I want something we can put our names on). Maybe even when we get to some point of starting to show this off, even have an N1s meeting about it. When I talked to shungokusatsu about it, his basic response to it was "as long as it doesn't become another suggestions thread". I think this is a great opportunity to allow the N1s meetings to be a platform for community feedback (via the live feed), and so on and so forth, and even go so far as presenting the finished work after optimizations to Sony. I'm hoping this will be one of many spaces, and I want us to have first dibs on this as a group effort, there's a perfect opportunity here to shine, and even extend the idea into clubhouses that we create together.

My challenge is for us to think outside the box, WAY outside the box on this one. Think about the kind of personal space you would love to have that you could actually integrate with your life.

With all of that said, maybe this Internal Discussions forum needs to be constricted to those who attend the meetings? (so jacka**es like Proph won't get his lackeys to try and get this idea and run with it)

So, what do you guys think?
    NJShadow
    NJShadow
    Pro Bowler

Number of posts : 146
    Registration date : 2009-02-20

"My Dream Home" and "Our Dream Clubhouse" Ideas Empty Re: "My Dream Home" and "Our Dream Clubhouse" Ideas

Post  NJShadow Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:00 am

Wow, this is an awesome idea.
    Veago
    Veago
    Pro Bowler

Number of posts : 134
    Registration date : 2009-03-06

"My Dream Home" and "Our Dream Clubhouse" Ideas Empty Re: "My Dream Home" and "Our Dream Clubhouse" Ideas

Post  Veago Fri Mar 13, 2009 11:57 am

thats a sweet looking home
    groovy341
    groovy341
    Pro Bowler

Registration date : 2009-03-04

Post  groovy341 Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:36 pm

You graphic jockeys are amazing people Bit, amazing people. What programs are you using? I myself am a code monkey and I find actually looking at graphics makes me scared and insecure. affraid Oh Noes! I much prefer a text editor and a case of red bull or good ol' Jolt Cola.

Anyway the alphas look great keep up the amazing work
    BitRunner
    BitRunner
    Code Breaker

Post  BitRunner Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:49 pm

groovy341 wrote:You graphic jockeys are amazing people Bit, amazing people. What programs are you using? I myself am a code monkey and I find actually looking at graphics makes me scared and insecure. affraid Oh Noes! I much prefer a text editor and a case of red bull or good ol' Jolt Cola.

The basic structure was built up in Rhino 3D (I picked Rhino for the easy to use CAD-like tools and I wanted to go with NURBS surfaces in the prototyping phase (and also Subdivision surfaces)). VRay is my favorite renderer of choice for the hyper-realistic radiosity lighting, however, it's a b*tch to learn compared to other renderers and takes a lot of time to get things the way you want (the N1s logo at the top of the forums was also rendered using VRay).

I'll be doing a lot of the more "organic" modeling (sculptures, sofas, draperies, etc) probably with box modeling/subdivision in a number of packages ranging from Nevercenter Silo to 3dsmax to ZBrush, just whatever works the best I guess. The big problem I find with a lot of 3D packages is that they have about 80% of the features you want, and the other 20% is stuff you actually need at any given time, and they also want you to learn THEIR workflow rather than doing what seems intuitive to you.

But anyways, yeah I'm like you, I code for my day job b/c it pays very well, but I've been wanting to learn 3D for a number of years on the side and always did it in pieces, never really going for any big projects. So I've started taking a bigger initiative to try and learn these things that I want to learn. This project is actually a very good one to learn everything I want to know with as long as I keep at it and don't give up out of frustration.
    groovy341
    groovy341
    Pro Bowler

Post  groovy341 Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:57 pm

BitRunner wrote:
    groovy341 wrote:You graphic jockeys are amazing people Bit, amazing people. What programs are you using? I myself am a code monkey and I find actually looking at graphics makes me scared and insecure. affraid Oh Noes! I much prefer a text editor and a case of red bull or good ol' Jolt Cola.

The basic structure was built up in Rhino 3D (I picked Rhino for the easy to use CAD-like tools and I wanted to go with NURBS surfaces in the prototyping phase (and also Subdivision surfaces)). VRay is my favorite renderer of choice for the hyper-realistic radiosity lighting, however, it's a b*tch to learn compared to other renderers and takes a lot of time to get things the way you want (the N1s logo at the top of the forums was also rendered using VRay).

I'll be doing a lot of the more "organic" modeling (sculptures, sofas, draperies, etc) probably with box modeling/subdivision in a number of packages ranging from Nevercenter Silo to 3dsmax to ZBrush, just whatever works the best I guess. The big problem I find with a lot of 3D packages is that they have about 80% of the features you want, and the other 20% is stuff you actually need at any given time, and they also want you to learn THEIR workflow rather than doing what seems intuitive to you.

But anyways, yeah I'm like you, I code for my day job b/c it pays very well, but I've been wanting to learn 3D for a number of years on the side and always did it in pieces, never really going for any big projects. So I've started taking a bigger initiative to try and learn these things that I want to learn. This project is actually a very good one to learn everything I want to know with as long as I keep at it and don't give up out of frustration.

Sounds super interesting but for me I am losing all interest in computers and technology. It is sad really because I used to love coding and debugging and all that crap but lately I have been getting very humanistic and am diverting my attention to volunteering with mental health facilities and working with substance abuse cases. I am now forgoing anymore tech learning and focusing on psychology so I can move back to the bay area and work in the clinics there.
    BitRunner
    BitRunner
    Code Breaker

Post  BitRunner Fri Mar 13, 2009 6:24 pm

groovy341 wrote:
    BitRunner wrote:

Sounds super interesting but for me I am losing all interest in computers and technology. It is sad really because I used to love coding and debugging and all that crap but lately I have been getting very humanistic and am diverting my attention to volunteering with mental health facilities and working with substance abuse cases. I am now forgoing anymore tech learning and focusing on psychology so I can move back to the bay area and work in the clinics there.

Trust me I know how you feel. I tend to go in waves with this stuff, I consider myself in a large way a "Jack of all trades" which can be a good and a bad thing. Psychology has also always been one of my major interests as well. I chose the coding career path for money doing consulting but if I had it my way I would be in a field where I could put all of my talents to good use.
    BitRunner
    BitRunner
    Code Breaker

Post  BitRunner Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:23 pm

I was hoping to get some more ideas and feedback on the idea. Teddy? Narde? njb? Asuka? BB? Maybe everyone's having a forum vacation day. Very Happy
    NJShadow
    NJShadow
    Pro Bowler

Registration date : 2009-02-20

Post  NJShadow Mon Mar 16, 2009 2:58 am

I would LOVE to enter this contest, only thing is that I don't have the abilities to create this kind of stuff via the computer. Floor designs via pen and paper maybe, but computer-wise, no. I just don't have the resources.
    BitRunner
    BitRunner
    Code Breaker

Post  BitRunner Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:44 am

NJShadow wrote:I would LOVE to enter this contest, only thing is that I don't have the abilities to create this kind of stuff via the computer. Floor designs via pen and paper maybe, but computer-wise, no. I just don't have the resources.

Well it's not a contest now, that's what I had planned way back but I scrapped it.

What I'm hoping for is a big group project. You don't necessarily even have to be a great designer just have some good feedback and ideas.
    Asuka
    Asuka
    Deathscythe

Number of posts : 278

Post  Asuka Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:08 am

That is an insanely great start, and I like the potential for that Space. I'd love to make my own, but all I really know how to use is Photoshop and Illustrator and wouldn't be able to make anything very original. I could help with interior decorating though.
    BitRunner
    BitRunner
    Code Breaker

Post  BitRunner Mon Mar 16, 2009 2:39 pm

Asuka wrote:That is an insanely great start, and I like the potential for that Space. I'd love to make my own, but all I really know how to use is Photoshop and Illustrator and wouldn't be able to make anything very original. I could help with interior decorating though.

Hey I'll want good textures of course (because honestly I suck at doing them), and any kinds of sketches and what not to help illustrate concepts, ideas, and interior design. While I would like to hopefully get some more 3d artists involved it's definitely not a requirement by any means. So by all means bring whatever you got.

Honestly doing anything in 3d is tough as hell in my experience (from years of trial and error, stressing on the error) because all of the tools I've ever used demand that you learn and use a workflow conducive to the tools instead of what seems more intuitive to you, although ZBrush is kind of a start in the right direction, but even with that I'm going through 3 books and a series of video tutorials on learning the workflow of ZBrush right now. It would be much better if I could find a pro to help be a mentor to me because learning in person is always better than from a book or a video.
    Jersquall
    Jersquall
    Pro Bowler

Number of posts : 128
    Registration date : 2009-02-24

Post  Jersquall Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:21 am

The fact that you sought me out to share this idea tells me you know how much I appreciate the craft. Thank you sir.

Oh my god! I love this frakkin idea!
    I have been following the different idea designs of Home since as far back as I can remember. There was a time in closed Beta where those of you who were in it got asked about different designs. Any of you remember that? I do. I was disgruntled because I had no say so at all. I was on the outside looking in. Playing Crptex with teddy!
    Bitrunner.. I absolutly Love your work! You know what I do with Photoshop. You also see my flaws that most look over. I am impatient.. On the forums I shoot for speed-shop's because sometimes theres not much time to get a pic in before the threads fade to outer postland.

And to you Bit I really think your on to something and offer my feeble craft however you need.

To those who cannot Shop or Cad or Bryce.. Theres something on your computer right now.. it's not pretty but hey.. it gets the ideas across no? heres a few i did up.

"My Dream Home" and "Our Dream Clubhouse" Ideas Bitidea1
    "My Dream Home" and "Our Dream Clubhouse" Ideas Bitidea2

Nice thread Bit /bow
    Veago
    Veago
    Pro Bowler

Post  Veago Fri Mar 20, 2009 7:55 pm

I think this would be a Home i'd wanna live in lol

"My Dream Home" and "Our Dream Clubhouse" Ideas Eveart10
    groovy341
    groovy341
    Pro Bowler

Post  groovy341 Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:20 pm

Veago wrote:I think this would be a Home i'd wanna live in lol

Is that from eve?

Anyway have a great weekend everyone I will be back with you guys and gals (gal)? on Sunday night or monday time for celebrating the missed saint patrick's day for me.
    CrashMurphy
    CrashMurphy
    Pro Bowler

Number of posts : 144
    Registration date : 2009-02-18

Post  CrashMurphy Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:30 pm

groovy341 wrote:

Is that from eve?

Anyway have a great weekend everyone I will be back with you guys and gals (gal)? on Sunday night or monday time for celebrating the missed saint patrick's day for me.

Sure looks like it. That would have been my guess. An Amarr dreadnought or titan maybe.
    BitRunner
    BitRunner
    Code Breaker

Post  BitRunner Wed Mar 25, 2009 2:50 pm

Jersquall wrote:The fact that you sought me out to share this idea tells me you know how much I appreciate the craft. Thank you sir.

Oh my god! I love this frakkin idea!
    I have been following the different idea designs of Home since as far back as I can remember. There was a time in closed Beta where those of you who were in it got asked about different designs. Any of you remember that? I do. I was disgruntled because I had no say so at all. I was on the outside looking in. Playing Crptex with teddy!
    Bitrunner.. I absolutly Love your work! You know what I do with Photoshop. You also see my flaws that most look over. I am impatient.. On the forums I shoot for speed-shop's because sometimes theres not much time to get a pic in before the threads fade to outer postland.

And to you Bit I really think your on to something and offer my feeble craft however you need.

To those who cannot Shop or Cad or Bryce.. Theres something on your computer right now.. it's not pretty but hey.. it gets the ideas across no? heres a few i did up.

"My Dream Home" and "Our Dream Clubhouse" Ideas Bitidea1
    "My Dream Home" and "Our Dream Clubhouse" Ideas Bitidea2

Nice thread Bit /bow

Sorry Jer I got caught up with the HC drama all this last week and didn't get a chance to respond to this.

In any case though, I knew you'd be all over this so I wanted to make sure you get a chance to see the thread. I'm about to let MarkSinister know too to check the thread as well. I've already told the guys I want to make this on the agenda for one of the upcoming meetings down the road but want to give some time for everyone to prepare to discuss. And yes you're on the right track, you don't need $1000+ 3d programs to get your points of view across (and if anything, let's be honest, I suck in the texture department, so any help is appreciated), I'm more so wanting to get the visual ideas and concepts together that will make this thing ultimately rock. For a while now I've wanted to see a collaboration effort between Sony and the customers on Home, and I think this is the perfect project to get that ball rolling. This isn't just about us submitting the work and saying "please put this in Home", it's about submitting our ideas visually and collaborate with Sony's creative geniuses to bring about some astounding works that will truly I believe benefit Home.

I don't want this to be all about one person either like the "Create Your Own Space" thread, I want it to be a full-on collaborative effort. My first manager out of college told me that managing isn't about taking on all of the workload or trying to do things to get yourself "hero cookies" as he would call it, it's about bringing the best people together to put them in front of the right audience, and it's about to giving credit to those people and taking a vested interest in their own personal development. I believe that to be my true myself, and that's what I hope to achieve here.
    MarkSinister

Number of posts : 4
    Registration date : 2009-03-25

Post  MarkSinister Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:32 am

NJShadow wrote:I would LOVE to enter this contest, only thing is that I don't have the abilities to create this kind of stuff via the computer. Floor designs via pen and paper maybe, but computer-wise, no. I just don't have the resources.

I don't think you need to be able to do 3D to submit an idea. If you can draw something up on a napkin it might be worth modeling for someone who can do 3D.
    CrashMurphy
    CrashMurphy
    Pro Bowler

Number of posts : 144
    Registration date : 2009-02-18

Post  CrashMurphy Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:08 pm

MarkSinister wrote:

I don't think you need to be able to do 3D to submit an idea. If you can draw something up on a napkin it might be worth modeling for someone who can do 3D.

Oh well hell, I can do that!
    Veago
    Veago
    Pro Bowler

Post  Veago Sat Mar 28, 2009 10:38 pm

CrashMurphy wrote:
    groovy341 wrote:

Is that from eve?

Sure looks like it. That would have been my guess. An Amarr dreadnought or titan maybe.

have no idea the name of the ship but yeah its from Eve.
    flux1983
    Glitcher

Number of posts : 35
    Registration date : 2009-03-17

"My Dream Home" and "Our Dream Clubhouse" Ideas Empty dream home

Post  flux1983 Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:57 am

nicly done bit
    I would buy
    whitwhit
    whitwhit
    Air Race Junkie

Number of posts : 189

Post  whitwhit Sat Apr 04, 2009 1:59 pm

i was thinking maybe having your own pesonal arcade in the massive mansion that i would with your own movie theatre and sound systems that you could possible pull off you hardrive to view in your own personl time while in home. just some thoughts i would throw out there. Bit ima spread the word that we need ppl to start working on there ideas for this meeting that is coming out.
    BitRunner
    BitRunner
    Code Breaker

Post  BitRunner Sat Apr 04, 2009 3:09 pm

whitwhit wrote:i was thinking maybe having your own pesonal arcade in the massive mansion that i would with your own movie theatre and sound systems that you could possible pull off you hardrive to view in your own personl time while in home. just some thoughts i would throw out there. Bit ima spread the word that we need ppl to start working on there ideas for this meeting that is coming out.

Thanks whit, yeah, a personal arcade MUST occur. Very Happy

I had wanted initially to put a small media room upstairs for viewing movies, but I think I have to agree with you, an in-home movie theater would be ideal.

I went to this guy's house one time in Southlake to fix his computer, not knowing that his parents were insanely LOADED, and I got to see the most awesome in-home movie theater I have ever seen, it was definitely sweet. I think I'm going to have to tear down some walls and expand (maybe even redo the initial structure to give it a lot more space to work).

Thanks for getting the word out I appreciate your help.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:32 pm