WELCOME TO THE N1 FORUMS

Mirror's Edge Review

NJShadow
    Pro Bowler

Number of posts : 146
    Registration date : 2009-02-20

Mirror's Edge Review

Post  NJShadow on Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:27 am

Before the review I'd like to say that this is definitely one of those games that you either love or hate. I absolutely loved it and thoroughly enjoyed the experience.

Also note, I write reviews for the PS3 site I write for as well as other sites around the web, so if I write a good, well thought out review, I'll just do a copy/paste around the web since it wouldn't make sense for me to write totally different reviews...

REVIEW:

Mirror's Edge is one of those rare games that doesn't come around that often, one that totally changes a genre or potentially creates a new one, and I have to say you'll be pleasantly surprised with the end result.

Mirror's Edge has you playing as Faith, a runner, who transports sensitive information across a totalitarian-like cityscape where all information is closely monitored. For the most part life goes on as usual and the runners are never really bothered... that is, until Faith's sister Kate is framed for a murder which, throughout the game, reveals a much broader plot at hand.

Let's be up-front here, Mirror's Edge straight up delivers on every possible level, it's got the looks, the gameplay and everything in-between. So, let's get started, shall we?

Graphics: Quite possibly the most beautiful game to come out certainly this year and perhaps in a very long time. The visuals in Mirror's Edge are stunning. Whether you're jetting across rooftops or running underground, you just can't beat the look. Pretty much the entire game seems very sanitized, you'll see very little dirt and grit, a refreshing change from your typical FPS. As you progress, you'll be drawn in by the vibrant colors whether it be through the rooftops or as you beat your way through the buildings themselves, things are just beautiful. Character models are highly detailed and yes, you can look at your own legs/feet which adds to the aspect of immersion. Cutscenes are done from a highly stylized cell-shaded point of view and those character cutscenes actually run off of the in-game engine.

Gameplay: This is what sets Mirror's Edge apart from pretty much every other game in history, few come close to capturing this kid of visceral experience. The majority of Mirror's Edge is spent running, yes, you read right, running. As you run, you gain momentum which causes Faith to move much quicker as you have the ability vault over obstacles and slide under others. One uniqie aspect of the free-running, parkour style is the ability to actually perform the type of moves that you'll often see free-runners perform.

When jumping from a high point, you have the choice of either landing hard and taking some damage, or hitting L2 just before the point-of-impact which will cause Faith to roll, taking no damage and adding to your momentum. You'll also have the ability to wall-run, hop back and forth between walls and just create some very fun and very stylish physical maneuvers. It's also quite neat how when you're hanging from a bar, you have the abilty to gain momentum by swinging, add to that the use of SixAxis controls to balance yourself as you walk across pipes, this can be turned off if you so choose. Throughout the game you'll encounter items and obstacles which turn red indicating that they're able to be used to either get to difficult areas or progress through the game, this is called runner vision and you have the ability to turn this off as well.

The combat is great without being overly complex or complicated. You can punch, kick, jump punch, jump kick or slide kick. Along with that, you can disarm and incapacitate an opponent by hitting the Triangle button at just the right moment when they try to strike you and their weapon turns red, this gets tougher to do as the game progresses and the cops and enemies get tougher. Even though I think the combat is fun and fresh, it's not the focal point so you can choose to fight only when you need to and even finish the game without shooting anyone, or go though the game "guns a' blazin'". However, carrying a weapon cause Faith to move slower and you'll probably just want to discard it. I think the game's difficulty is just right. This game can get tough and may require planning before entering an area with enemies or just looking for a route to progress through a given area. The gameplay is a blast and will really challenge the more skilled gamers out there.

Along with the single player campaign comes a speed run and time trial mode in which you can compete to beat other player's online times and race their record-setting ghosts. This can get pretty addictive as you race to own the leader boards

Sound: If you're like me, you'll absolutely love the serene, yet upbeat soundtrack, it's truly wonderful. Most of the time you'll be listening to the level's own, distinct ambient soundtrack with music in the background and the temp will pick-up once you hit either a puzzle (set of really tough obstacles) or you run into some enemies. The music is such an integral part of the game, that I'm sure many will appreciate the way it's used in the overall presentation. The voice-acting is fairly solid with most characters having a relaxed feel to their voices and rarely getting excited, although that does change the further you get.

Overall: This game is amazing. If you haven't picked it up, go and do that NOW, you won't regret it. If for any reason you're not convinced the parkour style free-running is an absolute rush, there is a demo in the PS Store which let's you play the entire first prologue level found in the game.

Last edited by NJShadow on Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:11 am; edited 2 times in total
    JamesSoprano

Number of posts : 328
    Registration date : 2009-02-16

Re: Mirror's Edge Review

Post  JamesSoprano on Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:03 am

Great Review NJShadow. i got to the 2nd last chapter and i got too mad at the game i gave it back to my friend. I like platform games but this just drove me nuts FPP ( First Person Platforming ) the games looks beautiful the voice acting is good but the gameplay pisses me off, let me say this in Chapter 8 i was inside this place and their was construction going on on both sides sorta looked like buildings into building or maybe a elevator was being built their ? anyways to go up you had to wall jump wall run and from one to another to get to the top where the vent is, after 10 mins ish of doing this ... i went in the vent saw a sticker for a bag near by and ... FREEZE ! I was so ticked i was like UGH i better not have to do that all over again i checked and yup i quit out of it sooo fast i took out the game deleted the save game and Data cause i was ticked it froze after all that work. I hated that it was right at the end of the game would it take me the same amount of time to climb it? probably but that day i played a patch was released so i figure maybe the patch did it cause it never froze up on me once till the patch came out. That's my tale of my frustration with Mirror's Edge i was so ticked off i don't care if i am a trophy Whore.

the last 3 trophies didn't matter too me anymore the game is that annoying ! sorry for the rant. everything for me was good but game play
    BitRunner
    Code Breaker

Number of posts : 380
    Registration date : 2009-02-19

Post  BitRunner on Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:08 am

I have to say the gameplay controls in this one get a little bit clunky at times. Take for example the part towards the end of the game where you have to get up to the roof to get to the sniper rifle. There are so many parts there that even if you jump the right way you may still find yourself falling. This is one of the most frustrating things to me in this game is all of the jumps and also the places where you have to triangle jump to get to higher ground. It makes for a really frustrating experience. The action itself is really not all that hard though, I beat it on Hard mode in probably 2 or 3 days, it's the platforming parts that are a true beating especially on the Speed Run / Time Trial modes.
    jiggyteddy
    Hard Boiled

Number of posts : 203
    Registration date : 2009-02-18

Post  jiggyteddy on Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:33 am

I have to say... awesome review NJShadow.

I played the demo, and didn't really like the controls very much. I went to a friend's house and gave it a little more hands on time, and simply couldn't get involved.

It is a definite love or hate relationship for me on this one.

I do love the approach and it is something very unique in the market. The thing that somewhat disappoints me is the sales. It has been pretty horrible to say the least. However, I hope that some of the innovations that DICE made here will rub off, perhaps in other genres.

Who knows right? But I generally cannot fault a developer for trying something new. And playing this is definitely a different experience unlike any other right now.
    Rockpopple
    Beta

Number of posts : 6

I tried

Post  Rockpopple on Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:01 pm

I really wanted to like that game, I really did. But the gameplay was too much.... run without knowing where to go - die - try again - run in a different direction - die - try again - run in a yet different direction - survive - move on.

I couldn't take it anymore. I actually took it back to Blockbuster and rented Dead Space instead. Best move I've ever made. Smile
    NJShadow
    Pro Bowler

Post  NJShadow on Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:23 pm

Thanks guys. Yeah, this definitely is a niche title. I think the reason it really appealed to me was because I'm sort of a runner/running enthusiast. Very Happy Or at least I'm into games that give you a truly breathtaking experience. The first time I saw the initial introduction trailer on the PSN I was hooked.
    BitRunner
    Code Breaker

Post  BitRunner on Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:57 am

The platforming sections of this game thoroughly piss me off and get my blood pressure up. Even though I've already beaten the game on Hard mode, I can't get past many of the Speed Run and Time Trial levels at qualifying times.
    NJShadow
    Pro Bowler

Post  NJShadow on Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:27 pm

BitRunner wrote:The platforming sections of this game thoroughly piss me off and get my blood pressure up. Even though I've already beaten the game on Hard mode, I can't get past many of the Speed Run and Time Trial levels at qualifying times.

Yeah, I do know that there were some pretty tough spots in the game. Particularly (might have been mentioned in a post above) where you have to climb a bunch of scaffolding from with a building. It took me literally almost an hour to figure out a way up. I was SO relieved when I finally got past that part.
    BitRunner
    Code Breaker

Post  BitRunner on Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:46 pm

NJShadow wrote:
    BitRunner wrote:The platforming sections of this game thoroughly piss me off and get my blood pressure up. Even though I've already beaten the game on Hard mode, I can't get past many of the Speed Run and Time Trial levels at qualifying times.

Yeah, I do know that there were some pretty tough spots in the game. Particularly (might have been mentioned in a post above) where you have to climb a bunch of scaffolding from with a building. It took me literally almost an hour to figure out a way up. I was SO relieved when I finally got past that part.

Oh yes I know that part very well, I've probably died close to 50 times in that area at least.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:52 am