The Nameless Ones

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Nameless Ones

WELCOME TO THE N1 FORUMS

+8
njb12287
whitwhit
Asuka
Duck_of_Doom
jiggyteddy
BitRunner
packobert
RbBrdMan
12 posters

Killzone 2 Review

RbBrdMan
    RbBrdMan
    Beta

Number of posts : 6
    Registration date : 2009-02-20

Killzone 2 Review Empty Killzone 2 Review

Post  RbBrdMan Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:08 am

Killzone 2 Review Killzone2FullLastDeath

I was fortunate enough to receive Killzone 2 yesterday.

I'd like to take a minute to share with you guys my opinions on the game.

Killzone 2 is a game that has been in development for the PS3 for close to 5 year and it shows. It shows in the
    visuals, which I'm sure most if not all of you have seen with your own eyes. The lighting engine and gameplay engine
    that is used in killzone 2 is one that will certainly revolutionize the way 1st party titles are developed for the ps3 and well it should. The amount of activity and visceral immersion that this title thrusts you in is amazing. What is even more amazing is the lack of any framedrop while it's all happening. That feat takes some serious tech.

Now on to the gameplay. There will be people that find the controls to feel a little off. I'm not quite sure that is a good way to describe it. Guerilla Games went for a 'realistic' sort of control scheme and in my opinion nailed it. I'm sure some of you have played FPS games that feel like your character is a camera on a tripod free to swing up, down, left and right with ease. Not so with Killzone 2 you actually feel like a character in a game. There is weight behind your movements. It takes a little more skill to aim and shoot effectively. This is not a twitch shooter. The only complaint I have is not GG's fault. It's going to take some time for me to get used to this control scheme because I'm so used to playing those twitch shooters.

The environment in Killzone 2 will take your breath away. There are certain locations and set pieces that will
    literally make your jaw hit the floor. I wouldn't dare spoil them for you. Things you just have to see to believe.

Offline bots is a HUGE plus for this game. Honestly I think every shooting game that has multiplayer should also have an offline bot mode. It is very fun to and educational to be able to play anytime you want on any map you want without the fear of being called a newb and constantly getting owned while trying to learn the maps.The only gripe I have is not being able to choose specific modes like just death match or only Search and destroy. While playing the offline mode called "Skirmish" you have to play all of the game modes one after another until the round ends. It's really hard to say that is a legitimate 'gripe' though because offline bot mode is such a great idea for shooters.

Online Multiplayer is where this game will truely stand out for most people. Though the online servers are not up yet I had the opportunity to participate in the MP Beta. I don't want to give a 'review' since it was a 'beta' but I will say this. I spent roughly 15 hours playing this beta. Take a guess if I liked it or not. (haha) While in the beta I was able to unlock just a couple of the 6 classes.

Killzone 2 is a flagship title and it shows. If you even have a slight interest in FPS games you owe it to yourself, your PS3, and Guerilla Games to go buy it on the 27th of Feb.

Trust me you won't be disappointed. cheers

Last edited by RbBrdMan on Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:03 am; edited 1 time in total
    packobert
    packobert
    Beta

Number of posts : 10

Killzone 2 Review Empty Re: Killzone 2 Review

Post  packobert Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:27 am

All ready got it pre ordered, played the demo multipule times, can't get here fast enough. What a Face
    BitRunner
    BitRunner
    Code Breaker

Number of posts : 380
    Registration date : 2009-02-19

Post  BitRunner Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:13 am

One question I have about this game is are there multiple enemies or just the regular Helghast soldiers?

During the demo that's all you fight, so I'm hoping there's a lot more variety in the full game. Unfortunately I never got a chance to play the first Killzone game on PS2 (BLASPHEMY!!! I know...).
    RbBrdMan
    RbBrdMan
    Beta

Number of posts : 6

Post  RbBrdMan Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:25 am

BitRunner wrote:One question I have about this game is are there multiple enemies or just the regular Helghast soldiers?

During the demo that's all you fight, so I'm hoping there's a lot more variety in the full game. Unfortunately I never got a chance to play the first Killzone game on PS2 (BLASPHEMY!!! I know...).

You fight helgan the whole time. However, there are several (I believe 6) different classes of Higs to fight. I don't want to spoil anything but there are other 'enemies' along the way also.
    jiggyteddy
    jiggyteddy
    Hard Boiled

Number of posts : 203
    Registration date : 2009-02-18

Post  jiggyteddy Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:29 am

Damn you RbBrdMan! You managed to score this one early! I'm somewhat jealous...

But with that said, thank you for the review. I know this game is definitely not slipping on my radar.
    Duck_of_Doom
    Duck_of_Doom
    Flying Couch

Number of posts : 51

Post  Duck_of_Doom Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:33 pm

I think this might be one of my 2009 purchases (I'm allowed only so many by order of my C.E.O. - The wife Laughing )

It will be the online component that does it for me.
    Asuka
    Asuka
    Deathscythe

Number of posts : 278

Post  Asuka Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:47 pm

You know, I've never even played the first Killzone. I might have to check out this series though; I've heard nothing but good things about it.
    affraid
    whitwhit
    whitwhit
    Air Race Junkie

Number of posts : 189

Post  whitwhit Sun Feb 22, 2009 4:02 pm

i got mine reserved off amazon bc i wanted to dress like the hieghtest or however you spell it in home lol this is a must buy game if you are a sony fan
    njb12287
    njb12287
    Vault-Tec C.E.O.

Number of posts : 214
    Registration date : 2009-02-15

Post  njb12287 Sun Feb 22, 2009 4:18 pm

lol ya me too Whit
    Speedracer1955
    Speedracer1955
    Bubble Dancer

Number of posts : 122
    Registration date : 2009-02-24

Post  Speedracer1955 Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:56 pm

Yeah I waited for the demo to see its great graphics and now got to wait to see if I can score either a used or discounted/sale copy.... I have a severely limited budget!

But it is going to be a must have soon...
    NJShadow
    NJShadow
    Pro Bowler

Number of posts : 146

Post  NJShadow Sat Feb 28, 2009 12:29 am

This is pretty freakin' amazing thus far. I thought it might be gorgeous graphics wrapped around generic gameplay, but no, the gameplay really does hold up, it's great! Very Happy
    UItraviolence
    UItraviolence

Number of posts : 4
    Registration date : 2009-02-27

Post  UItraviolence Sat Feb 28, 2009 12:50 am

i just got done playing some online. its insane lol , i love it.. custom music helps too. theres nothing better than shooting helghast while listening to NiN or TooL.
    abkslovak
    abkslovak
    Mallrat

Number of posts : 281

Post  abkslovak Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:34 am

Omg I really like this game it is really great
    jiggyteddy
    jiggyteddy
    Hard Boiled

Number of posts : 203
    Registration date : 2009-02-18

Post  jiggyteddy Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:33 pm

After having this game for a little while now... I have to say it is pretty good.

I definitely understand what you meant by the controls when you described it. It definitely did take some time to get used to.

The control issue might be my problem though--I am currently juggling Mercs 2, Kz2, GTA IV, and SF IV... LOL. I know... it is quite a feat. And to top it all off, I throw in Fallout 3 for good measure. Still trying to be the scourge.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:48 am