The Nameless Ones

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Nameless Ones

WELCOME TO THE N1 FORUMS

3 posters

Dont Taze Me Bro

H2o Helghast
    H2o Helghast
    Flying Couch

Number of posts : 45
    Registration date : 2009-04-20

Dont Taze Me Bro Empty Dont Taze Me Bro

Post  H2o Helghast Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:51 pm

A lawsuit filed in Arizona on April 17 charges Second Life creator Linden Lab and a slew of other individuals for trademark infringement on TASER's handheld self-defense device. Insert zap joke here.

Massively got a hold of the complaint and today posted a pretty lengthy breakdown of the charges and their credibility. Highlights include pointing out that the TASERs in the game don't actually taze people (because you'd have to hijack other users' avatars to make them appear as though they're being electrocuted); pointing out that TASER doesn't seem to understand who to sue to technically be suing "the game;" and examining whether or not the $75,000 in damages TASER is seeking is even worth a lawsuit instead of a take-down notice.

The big deal in this case, though, is why TASER is suing Linden Lab instead of the content creators. The answer to that, according to the analysis of the official complaint, is because Linden Lab bought XStreet SL a while ago. That means:

…the Lab is no longer mediating transactions between buyers and sellers. Xstreet SL arguably retails on behalf of sellers, and takes a commission. It's going to be difficult to argue that the Lab/Xstreet SL is not selling these items.

My answer is that TASER would rather sue the guys with money, rather than the actual (penniless) infringers themselves.
    Speedracer1955
    Speedracer1955
    Bubble Dancer

Number of posts : 122
    Registration date : 2009-02-24

Dont Taze Me Bro Empty Re: Dont Taze Me Bro

Post  Speedracer1955 Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:00 pm

The liberal justice system at work eating its children... This is one of the reasons that conservatives want limits as to what can come before a judge. This type of suit will waste not only money but the time it takes to record all the useless information and legal briefs that are filed to justify this mess.

This also proves that copyright infringement should be dealt with in a manner that is worthwile to the whole of the justice system...
    whitwhit
    whitwhit
    Air Race Junkie

Number of posts : 189
    Registration date : 2009-02-19

Post  whitwhit Wed Apr 22, 2009 2:26 am

thanks for the info man

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:15 am