An Evolving Personal Gaming Experience

jiggyteddy
    Hard Boiled

Number of posts : 203
    Registration date : 2009-02-18

An Evolving Personal Gaming Experience

Post  jiggyteddy on Sat Feb 21, 2009 3:20 am

Hey guys whats up?

I thought this would be a great topic for discussion.

I've noticed a difference in the way I game, and it has been going on for some time now. Let me describe what has been happening.

Games that I have and currently not even close to finishing are Resistance 2, Bioshock, and Fallout 3. Fallout 3 is the newest in my collection out of them all.

Now the thing I've noticed about my gaming habits is that I am actually less interested in those games than the PSN games I have been playing lately. I have been very engaged with Flower, Bejeweled 2, Mahjong, and Cuboid. I find myself having more fun with these "budget" titles than the full fledged retail games for some reason. I'm wondering why that is.

Is it because of "easy" trophies?
    I'm not sure about this one. I like "earning" these things, and have seen the impact it has made on the way I game. I still will not go out of the way to get them, but if I have time after I finish the main mode then I would try.

Changing taste in games?
    I thought this could possibly be it. To be honest, I am all shootered out. I really don't want to play more of these. The last one I finished was Call of Duty W@W. I thought it was a great campaign. Played a little online, and that was about it.

Now I have R2 and Bioshock sitting there. I really have lost interest in those, and honestly, I find myself going back to those if I feel the trophy itch. Shootered out perhaps?

Maybe Killzone 2 will solve this issue, but I was never a big shooter fan to begin with.

I was always a big RPG fan... and thought that Fallout 3 would definitely fill this void for me. I really do like this game, but now I'm wondering if I only like this game because I managed to find the CE at Circuit City with 40% off, making it cost $36 for me. Awesome find. But I lack the urge to get past following my father's footsteps.

So is there a shift in my gaming taste? Cannot say for certain... but I do have one very logical reason. Just thought about it.

How about the time?
    Gee... what time is it? I find myself asking that question pretty frequently. I'm 28 years of age. I work in midtown NYC and spend a lot of the daytime at the daily grind. I see the gf pretty much everyday after work, and she often sleeps over. So what am I getting at?

Time. I don't have enough hours in the day to really "get into" a full fledged game. If I only have a half hour on my PS3 today, I likely will not spend it trying to finish the campaign on R2. I like to take my time and really enjoy a game. I love games with a good story. But when I have so little time to truly go deep into a game, I have found myself picking up something quick. Flower has definitely been giving me that fix. Bejewled is just a monster. I could easily spend that 30 minutes just playing on Endless mode. Mahjong is a no brainer really... matching tiles is somewhat addicting to me, perhaps it is because of its simple gameplay? A huge layout in that game could easily take 5-10 minutes for me to clear. As for Cuboid, some puzzles you literally have to strategize in your mind before you actually attack the stage.

I need sleep. I cannot stay up past 3AM typically anymore. I'm getting old. 3-4 hours of sleep doesn't cut it anymore.

On weekends, I try to game more because I actually have some time. But then again, me and her don't work so we usually find ourselves doing the couple thing. Get up later, go out do stuff, get wasted perhaps, sleep later...

SOLUTION!
    I got the answer right here--I need more hours in the day. Or maybe I can figure out a way to not sleep, and still be functional?

How about this one--I could somehow game while I sleep? Imagine that one. Genius. Laughing

So now that I have shared a bit of my personal observations, do you guys have any changes in your gaming habits the past year or so? We're all from different backgrounds, so that only makes the responses that much more interesting to read.

Thanks.
    Worm32
    Glitcher

Number of posts : 18
    Registration date : 2009-02-19

Re: An Evolving Personal Gaming Experience

Post  Worm32 on Sat Feb 21, 2009 4:33 am

My gaming style has absolutely changed in recent times. In fact, I can pinpoint it's exact change, the day trophies were released. Don't ask me to explain it, because I don't know why. Something about those little 2D trophies in the upper right of my screen and that little chime, gets my blood flowin. My girlfriend is completely aware of my new addiction and thinks it's hilarious. When she hears that chime coming from the other room, she always yells "Good job Baby!" (God I love her)

Although some will say that trophies are pointless, it has led me to games that I might have never played. I was never into RPG's, but now Fallout is one of my favorite games. I wasn't to fond of the Dead Space demo from the PS store, but gave it a shot just because of trophies. Now I think it might be one of the best games I've played in a long time. I am currently working on Prince of Persia, and so far, it's great. I have always been a die hard gamer, but when trophies were released, it turned into a whole new addiction. It's like walking up to a crack fiend and saying "Hey, you ever heard about this stuff called heroine?" Shocked
    RbBrdMan
    Beta

Number of posts : 6
    Registration date : 2009-02-20

Post  RbBrdMan on Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:34 am

I'm glad I'm not the only one.

I think you have the right answer we are getting older. I'm a couple of months away from 30 and find myself in the same predicament. I work during the day. When I get off work I want to spend time with my wife and kids. So that means I have less time to spend with my games.

So games like bejewled, magic ball, and many other PSN games are a perfect solution to fill my gaming fix without eating up tons of my time.

I've finished all the games you've mentioned (except fallout3) but I do it slowly. It took me almost 2 weeks to finish R2, that a lot of time considering how short the SP is. I generally divide time with my retail games. It's not uncommon for me to be rotating 4 or 5 games at any given time.

This approach doesn't suit everyone though. Some gamers like to stay submersed in one story at a time. Which is certainly understandable. Personally I don't want my backlog to get 5 or 6 deep so I force myself to play them simultaneously.

Don't worry Ted we aren't turning into casuals just yet. That is my biggest fear.. lol!
    jiggyteddy
    Hard Boiled

Number of posts : 203
    Registration date : 2009-02-18

Post  jiggyteddy on Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:21 am

RbBrdMan wrote:I'm glad I'm not the only one.

I think you have the right answer we are getting older. I'm a couple of months away from 30 and find myself in the same predicament. I work during the day. When I get off work I want to spend time with my wife and kids. So that means I have less time to spend with my games.

So games like bejewled, magic ball, and many other PSN games are a perfect solution to fill my gaming fix without eating up tons of my time.

I've finished all the games you've mentioned (except fallout3) but I do it slowly. It took me almost 2 weeks to finish R2, that a lot of time considering how short the SP is. I generally divide time with my retail games. It's not uncommon for me to be rotating 4 or 5 games at any given time.

This approach doesn't suit everyone though. Some gamers like to stay submersed in one story at a time. Which is certainly understandable. Personally I don't want my backlog to get 5 or 6 deep so I force myself to play them simultaneously.

Don't worry Ted we aren't turning into casuals just yet. That is my biggest fear.. lol!
    Oh man Rb... I don't want to have the same fate as a casual!

@ Worm:
    Trophies have changed the way I game too now. I have to admit, those little suckers are pretty cool. I used to say achievements were stupid because they are just a number, but then again trophies are just numbers too. But there is one major diference--that little trophy illustration. That visual effect goes a little further than just numbers.
    JamesSoprano

Number of posts : 328
    Registration date : 2009-02-16

Post  JamesSoprano on Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:47 am

Interestng Teddy. tho alot of people hated R2 Campaign i LOVED IT .. just fighting those " Easy " Bosses on each stage not only cause it gives you a trophy .. it's cause it's fun and just too see how the game end sucks but i had fun playing it ! and as for Bioshock i gotta say i think if you sat and played this game from start to finish .. you would like the story of the game and appreciate the game.
    BitRunner
    Code Breaker

Number of posts : 380

Post  BitRunner on Sat Feb 21, 2009 4:23 pm

I think the trend comes out of a few things:

1) We're getting too damn old. Smile
    2) Casual gaming titles have been on the PC for a long time, it's become part of the common culture as a time waster.
    3) FPS games are starting to all be the same, and they seem to be the most prevalent genre being produced by gaming companies now. Actually I miss a lot of the old side view platform and shooter games (Contra, Life Force/Gradius, Castlevania, etc), I'd love to see these kinds of games on better hardware. There's also a big lack of good JRPGs now. Eternal Sonata just doesn't cut the mustard for me.
    NJShadow
    Pro Bowler

Number of posts : 146
    Registration date : 2009-02-20

Post  NJShadow on Sun Feb 22, 2009 2:40 am

Hey, if you're really into PSN games, you should really give Bionic Commando Rearmed a shot. I absolutely LOVE the music. They have a demo for it in the PS Store, plus I believe the actual game is only $10.
    Duck_of_Doom
    Flying Couch

Number of posts : 51

Post  Duck_of_Doom on Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:28 am

Getting older and switched priorities for me. My wife & kids come WAY before me plunking down in front of the TV for some PS3 action. Not to mention that after I play with my girls, help with dinner, bath time & bed time, I AM WIPED OUT! I'm alot closer to 40 than 30...and even then at 30 I didn't stay up later than 1:00 am to game very often. Having to get up at 6:00 am or earlier to head down town to work is a killer and weighing that fact vs. late night shenanigans, is a no brainer.

My resolve is to game between 9-11. Two hours I have coined my "Golden Time". Time that I can PS3 with buddies or just flake out on the couch and watch some TV or a movie. Having said that, I find that if I do turn on the PS3 I usually go to games that I can turn off when I want. Those are mostly online shooters. If I play a game offline, with a story mode, I find I lose track of time and next thing I know it is 3:00 am and I'm kicking myself for being an idiot.

So I guess my view on what type of games I play pretty much revolve around ones that aren't addictive and that I can shut off with still a feeling of having accomplished something.

Good topic!
    Wink
    BitRunner
    Code Breaker

Number of posts : 380

Post  BitRunner on Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:59 pm

Duck_of_Doom wrote:Getting older and switched priorities for me. My wife & kids come WAY before me plunking down in front of the TV for some PS3 action. Not to mention that after I play with my girls, help with dinner, bath time & bed time, I AM WIPED OUT! I'm alot closer to 40 than 30...and even then at 30 I didn't stay up later than 1:00 am to game very often. Having to get up at 6:00 am or earlier to head down town to work is a killer and weighing that fact vs. late night shenanigans, is a no brainer.

My resolve is to game between 9-11. Two hours I have coined my "Golden Time". Time that I can PS3 with buddies or just flake out on the couch and watch some TV or a movie. Having said that, I find that if I do turn on the PS3 I usually go to games that I can turn off when I want. Those are mostly online shooters. If I play a game offline, with a story mode, I find I lose track of time and next thing I know it is 3:00 am and I'm kicking myself for being an idiot.

So I guess my view on what type of games I play pretty much revolve around ones that aren't addictive and that I can shut off with still a feeling of having accomplished something.

Good topic!
    Wink

I know exactly what you mean man. On a regular workday (excluding the fact that I work out of the house on Mondays right now), once I come in from work I'm pretty exhausted. To top that off, my g/f who's living with me now might get a wild hair and start an argument if I'm playing too long and will throw out all the typical "you don't pay enough attention to me" arguments even though she's mostly in her own world on her laptop or watching TV (the kicker here is that she doesn't work she's a PhD student, so she has no idea what it's like to be working all the time yet). To a reasonable degree I have to walk on eggshells at all times it seems. To top that off, if I get too involved in a game it may be 3, 4, even 5 in the morning. As of late too, I've really had to watch out for finding myself in forums (particularly the Home forums) up until the wee hours of the morning not even getting any game time in or doing anything else I want to do on my spare time. So, it's kind of a nobrainer that I would pick up games that are either easy trophies or don't require a huge effort of time. Not to mention, I've never been that big on FPS games, they can be fun for a while, but I started in an area way before FPS games when there was a bigger focus on platform, shooter, and adventure or RPG games that to me used to be a lot funner.
    Ladyhawke
    Beta

Number of posts : 13

Post  Ladyhawke on Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:24 am

Good topic, Teddy.

I also enjoy the "budget" games. I have a few of them. But, not because I don't like my full retail games. My retail games I have beaten already. I'm not into getting all trophies like a lot of people. I still enjoy just playing a game, and not worried if I don't get all trophies. I think the budget games are popular because they are simple. Nothing to hard about them, and they bring back the fun we all used to have when we played the 8bit systems. I know I had lots of fun with my 8bit systems. Anybody else?

Also, I am 34, I have 3 kids, and a hubby. We all game together, I have 5 PS3's in my house, just because we all play at once at times. My 2 year old isn't there YET, but soon she will...lol So, playing video games isn't a big problem as far as my family is concerned, and age for me is a state of mind. Your age is how you feel. I'm 34 and I feel like I am much younger. But, that's me... Very Happy

nyma11

Number of posts : 2
    Registration date : 2009-02-25

Post  nyma11 on Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:37 am

Trophies, as much as I hate to say it, have given me a reason to play the game the way the author wants me to play it. To experience things that arent neccessarly required to complete the game.

Everyone has their own style of playing the games, for example, in MGS, i defeated the entire game without once sneaking behind someone for the kill (a trophy is available for this). After i realized the trophy, i went back and tried it a few times. Wow, was i missing out on something. It seems i may have been playing the game all wrong despite me having beaten it. So for me, I have no issues in saying, My name is Mark, and i am a trophy Whore. Why can i be proud to say this?, because i have played the game in the way the author intended.

There are some examples of how trophies can be used incorrectly. See GTA and Fallout. I truely do not see the purpose of making every single JUMP in GTA, nor do i see any purpose in collecting 100 empty soda pops in Fallout. I guess what im saying is that trophies, when used correctly, can add to the value of a game for me. In some situations is can acutally discourage people from wanting to continue.

The fact that the game has trophies or not has NO bearing on my gaming style.

Although i do find that alot of what you are saying is true, many of the games I play OFTEN are games that are PSN purchased. (see PJM, Savage Moon and such).

Why do we do this?

Is it because of the trophies?

or is it because they are more Arcade like?

I am going to lean toward the fact that they are more arcade like, something most adults can sympothize with both as far as time constraints and a upbringing in an aracade world (see pac man, street fighter, tekken, gallaga)

I cant help but think, these Cheap arcade games have more RE-playability then the 60 dollar mainstream ones.
    njb12287
    Vault-Tec C.E.O.

Number of posts : 214
    Registration date : 2009-02-15

Post  njb12287 on Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:56 am

Oh i have to agree, trophies have defenately changed the way i play games. I go out to get every little thing i can. It has definately increased my replay value as well
    Wolverine8780
    Flying Couch

Number of posts : 45
    Registration date : 2009-02-24

Post  Wolverine8780 on Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:09 am

No doubt about it Trophies changed everything for me as well... I will throw in one more testimonial though as I already told this story to LordMorgren. Once I got home beta back in september .. I met atleast 30 really cool people within my first 3 days there .. Im still friends with them till this day. They, along with some of you here reignited my fire to come out and game again ...they also influenced me to make purchases I wouldn't have normally made just based on things they were telling me about the games.. and ya know, I cant doubt them one bit. To this day atleast 5 or 6 times a day I am involved in some sort of game with one or all of them depending on the game. We all stuck together through thick and thin closed beta and open. They are the reasons why I even bother comming to game late at night ... many sleepless nights .. but burning the candle at both ends never felt so good. Most of this is thanks to home.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:03 pm