The Nameless Ones

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Nameless Ones

WELCOME TO THE N1 FORUMS

3 posters

Star Trek Opinions (Spoilers)

BitRunner
    BitRunner
    Code Breaker

Number of posts : 380
    Registration date : 2009-02-19

Star Trek Opinions (Spoilers) Empty Star Trek Opinions (Spoilers)

Post  BitRunner Sun May 10, 2009 4:59 am

By and large what did you guys think of the movie?

I think if I watched the shows religiously I would have taken the alternate time continuum reboot as a cheap slap in the face to all of the previous movies and shows, which basically nullifies their existence. Maybe even more so I would be offended by the "iPod-ish" / toy looking nature of the USS Enterprise. All in all though, as a movie by itself it was pretty good as an action flick, but not so much on the sci-fi side of things, and definitely the intelligence level was taken down a very liberal notch. From what I'm reading though, the movie has had generally positive reviews. Does it stack up to Wrath of Khan though (generally regarded as the best Star Trek movie by many)? Ehhh... I don't know about that.

Thoughts?
    Jersquall
    Jersquall
    Pro Bowler

Number of posts : 128
    Registration date : 2009-02-24

Star Trek Opinions (Spoilers) Empty Re: Star Trek Opinions (Spoilers)

Post  Jersquall Mon May 11, 2009 3:10 am

I was worried they would destroy the Star Trek canon with mistakes and unwritten doctrine as the lights faded and the trailers started rolling on the 70x30 screen.. I never had time to think about it the entire run of the movie. This movie is action packed. Seeing the events unfold in the first 15 minutes that explain what happens to Kirks father was in a word awesome..

I grew up watching the original series reruns with my dad who would of loved this movie. I really miss my father. I also miss the original trek crew but seeing spock was cool. I know they wanted to revitalize the franchise and this movie does just that. The characters are enjoyable to watch and Kirk, Spock, and Bones McCoys actors nailed their parts. Simon pegg as scotty was awesome and I wanted to see more of that. Checkov and Sulu were alright as was Ohura.

Incorporating other Trek character in this movie only helps the story along. Sarek (spocks father), Captain Christopher Pike who was a motivation for young Kirk had nice airtime and were never overly used. I di not care for Nero and i'm not sure if Eric Bana was the right choice..

The effects in this movie were magnificent. Yes they are different but I think they were utilized to the fullest to tell the story.

The movies moves at a fast pace but when it does slow to tell the story it makes you listen and thats where the actors do their best work. The movie only made me want more as it came to an end. Does the movie have problems? For long time Trek lovers yes. I own all trek movies. Entire Next gen, Some of Deep Space nine, Some of Voyager, nothing from Enterprise but I have watched all the series. I was use to a certain format. This movie pumps new life into Trek so i'm happy. The movie made 76.5 million this first weekend and will clear 200 before it's all said and done. Almost guaranteed sequel. I left abunch of things out as not to spoil anything major. There is drama, Comedy, cliches and lots of action. it's definatly a summer movie.

~jer
    whitwhit
    whitwhit
    Air Race Junkie

Number of posts : 189

Post  whitwhit Mon May 11, 2009 5:11 am

the only problem i had was they made captain kirk a B*tch he stayed getting his ass beat in the movie ans just winning out of no where
    BitRunner
    BitRunner
    Code Breaker

Post  BitRunner Mon May 11, 2009 6:49 am

whitwhit wrote:the only problem i had was they made captain kirk a B*tch he stayed getting his ass beat in the movie ans just winning out of no where

There is absolutely no justifiable situation where Sulu should have to be relied on to save Kirk's life in physical combat... but they decided to give him a bada$$ sword. Very Happy
    BitRunner
    BitRunner
    Code Breaker

Post  BitRunner Mon May 11, 2009 6:57 am

Jersquall wrote:I was worried they would destroy the Star Trek canon with mistakes and unwritten doctrine as the lights faded and the trailers started rolling on the 70x30 screen.. I never had time to think about it the entire run of the movie. This movie is action packed. Seeing the events unfold in the first 15 minutes that explain what happens to Kirks father was in a word awesome..

I grew up watching the original series reruns with my dad who would of loved this movie. I really miss my father. I also miss the original trek crew but seeing spock was cool. I know they wanted to revitalize the franchise and this movie does just that. The characters are enjoyable to watch and Kirk, Spock, and Bones McCoys actors nailed their parts. Simon pegg as scotty was awesome and I wanted to see more of that. Checkov and Sulu were alright as was Ohura.

Incorporating other Trek character in this movie only helps the story along. Sarek (spocks father), Captain Christopher Pike who was a motivation for young Kirk had nice airtime and were never overly used. I di not care for Nero and i'm not sure if Eric Bana was the right choice..

The effects in this movie were magnificent. Yes they are different but I think they were utilized to the fullest to tell the story.

The movies moves at a fast pace but when it does slow to tell the story it makes you listen and thats where the actors do their best work. The movie only made me want more as it came to an end. Does the movie have problems? For long time Trek lovers yes. I own all trek movies. Entire Next gen, Some of Deep Space nine, Some of Voyager, nothing from Enterprise but I have watched all the series. I was use to a certain format. This movie pumps new life into Trek so i'm happy. The movie made 76.5 million this first weekend and will clear 200 before it's all said and done. Almost guaranteed sequel. I left abunch of things out as not to spoil anything major. There is drama, Comedy, cliches and lots of action. it's definatly a summer movie.

~jer

I thought the exact same thing you thought about the actors, and yeah Simon Pegg as Scotty was freakin' hilarious. McCoy had me in stitches as well in the movie. I really like seeing the more juvenile and human side of the characters as well.

One thing I'll tell you I really loved about the movie was the non-bipedal aliens on Delta Vega (especially the big red one), that was just in a word bad-f*cking-a$$. That's one thing that has seemed to be missing a lot from Star Trek movies is some really nasty alien beasts. You'd think if you were exploring space you'd see a lot more than Romulans/Vulcans/Klingons/Borgs/etc, it was a very welcome addition for me and I hope they do more.

As far as sequels, from what I read it looks like they're already writing up a sequel.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:55 am