The Nameless Ones

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Nameless Ones

WELCOME TO THE N1 FORUMS

+2
jiggyteddy
BitRunner
6 posters

Dead Space Review (Possible Spoilers)

BitRunner
    BitRunner
    Code Breaker

Number of posts : 380
    Registration date : 2009-02-19

Dead Space Review (Possible Spoilers) Empty Dead Space Review (Possible Spoilers)

Post  BitRunner Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:52 pm

Dead Space pretty quickly became one of my PS3 games last year. Why?

It's not the acting, trust me, it's cheesy in an "every character on 24 except for Keifer Sutherland" kind of way.

It's not the graphics, while some of the graphics of the game are simply amazing, others for the regular slashers and some of the enemies look like they were made for the PS2.

It's not for the gameplay controls either, the buttons love to stick sometimes. You can walk up to a door and hit X, and nothing will happen, so you have to hit it again, which can get annoying if you're trying to RUN from something. You might also be in a lot of situations where you need to switch your plasma cutter to it's alternative mode with R2 and it sticks so you have to hit it again, cutting away at vital time to aim and take out your enemies.

What sets it apart from other games of the same genre? The suspense is pretty wild in this game in comparison with others in the same genre, and the mood set by the game gives you the feeling of being completely alone (that is, alone to coherent sentient beings) in the vast reaches of space. Some have criticized the game for not being scary except for the parts where you're up against the Hunter, which I'll leave for you to find out about if you've never played the game. However, I think where the game really builds in some of its fear factor is in the Sh*t-your-pants suspense and anticipation it gives in some areas of the game, even in some of the predictable situations. EA did an incredible job with the music and sound of the game to set a terrifying mood of suspense. Every now and again too, they throw in a few real shockers, for example, you might be walking down a hallway and see a slasher in the distance so you start to take aim for its limbs before he sees you, and then all of a sudden you hear the nearby familiar crash of vents and an enemy jump down and takes a stab at you in the back.

By comparison, if you're looking for a good horror game, I actually put this above the Resident Evil and Silent Hill series (except for maybe the first Silent Hill game, most of the ones in the series since then have kind of been junk IMO). If you get a chance to rent it or find it used, definitely give it a go. Even despite its shortcomings, you likely won't be sorry. I will also say one other thing too... PLAY IT ON NORMAL OR HARD THE FIRST TIME THROUGH!!! If you don't, the suspense effect will likely be completely ruined as the average gamer will find themselves nearly invincible on Easy mode.
    jiggyteddy
    jiggyteddy
    Hard Boiled

Number of posts : 203
    Registration date : 2009-02-18

Dead Space Review (Possible Spoilers) Empty Re: Dead Space Review (Possible Spoilers)

Post  jiggyteddy Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:54 pm

Even on easy mode this game gives me the creeps! The atmosphere is definitely awesome though.
    JamesSoprano
    JamesSoprano

Number of posts : 328
    Registration date : 2009-02-16

Dead Space Review (Possible Spoilers) Empty Re: Dead Space Review (Possible Spoilers)

Post  JamesSoprano Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:15 am

nice review BitRunner, i played the demo and didn't care for it .. i don't know why but .. i found things hard to follow through with and understand what to do and such and i found with the third person view with the movement of the character to be slow and clunky. I'm glad you enjoyed it tho Smile
    BitRunner
    BitRunner
    Code Breaker

Number of posts : 380

Post  BitRunner Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:35 am

JamesSoprano wrote:nice review BitRunner, i played the demo and didn't care for it .. i don't know why but .. i found things hard to follow through with and understand what to do and such and i found with the third person view with the movement of the character to be slow and clunky. I'm glad you enjoyed it tho Smile

I heard the demo didn't do the game justice at all which is probably true.
    Worm32
    Worm32
    Glitcher

Number of posts : 18

Post  Worm32 Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:37 pm

I completely agree that this game is amazing. I would have to say that one of my favorite aspects of the game, is that there isn't a hub. It definitely adds to the suspense and "scary" feel to the game. All the essentials of a hub, are self contained on your suit. Having a completely open screen, with no health bar, score, etc., really lets you get lost in the story and forget you are playing a game. affraid
    Ladyhawke
    Ladyhawke
    Beta

Number of posts : 13

Post  Ladyhawke Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:45 am

Worm32 wrote:I completely agree that this game is amazing. I would have to say that one of my favorite aspects of the game, is that there isn't a hub. It definitely adds to the suspense and "scary" feel to the game. All the essentials of a hub, are self contained on your suit. Having a completely open screen, with no health bar, score, etc., really lets you get lost in the story and forget you are playing a game. affraid

I have to agree. I loved how there was nothing on the screen. I have never been so scared to turn a corner in a game. Dead Space is def creepy, in every way. The creatures remind me of the ones in The Thing, by John Carpenter. I love horror/sci-fi movies. Hicks from Aliens is my hero. Very Happy
    jiggyteddy
    jiggyteddy
    Hard Boiled

Post  jiggyteddy Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:49 am

Ladyhawke wrote:
    Worm32 wrote:I completely agree that this game is amazing. I would have to say that one of my favorite aspects of the game, is that there isn't a hub. It definitely adds to the suspense and "scary" feel to the game. All the essentials of a hub, are self contained on your suit. Having a completely open screen, with no health bar, score, etc., really lets you get lost in the story and forget you are playing a game. affraid

I have to agree. I loved how there was nothing on the screen. I have never been so scared to turn a corner in a game. Dead Space is def creepy, in every way. The creatures remind me of the ones in The Thing, by John Carpenter. I love horror/sci-fi movies. Hicks from Aliens is my hero. Very Happy
    You guys make an excellent point, I forgot about the "no hud" in this game.

I also love horror sci fi flicks. Awesome.
    Afro Samurai Anubyss
    Afro Samurai Anubyss
    Flying Couch

Number of posts : 49
    Registration date : 2009-03-02

Post  Afro Samurai Anubyss Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:20 pm

DeadSpace Is a great game, I jus wish it was longer yo, I pwned this game completely afro lol!
    jiggyteddy
    jiggyteddy
    Hard Boiled

Post  jiggyteddy Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:24 pm

Afro Samurai Anubyss wrote:DeadSpace Is a great game, I jus wish it was longer yo, I pwned this game completely afro lol!
    Yep. This was your first plat. Very Happy
    Afro Samurai Anubyss
    Afro Samurai Anubyss
    Flying Couch

Post  Afro Samurai Anubyss Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:27 pm

Actually DEadSpace was my second bro lol, I got Uncharted like 24 hour's before it Razz king lol! afro geek
    jiggyteddy
    jiggyteddy
    Hard Boiled

Post  jiggyteddy Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:41 pm

Afro Samurai Anubyss wrote:Actually DEadSpace was my second bro lol, I got Uncharted like 24 hour's before it Razz king lol! afro geek
    Damn it. I couldn't remember which came first.

You should finish Burnout.. easy 3rd Plat for you waiting right there!
    Afro Samurai Anubyss
    Afro Samurai Anubyss
    Flying Couch

Post  Afro Samurai Anubyss Tue May 12, 2009 12:56 pm

I got it burnout plat now

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:12 pm