The Nameless Ones

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Nameless Ones

WELCOME TO THE N1 FORUMS

3 posters

Wheel of Fortune / PSN

BitRunner
    BitRunner
    Code Breaker

Number of posts : 380
    Registration date : 2009-02-19

Wheel of Fortune / PSN Empty Wheel of Fortune / PSN

Post  BitRunner Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:30 am

Graphics: The graphics are pretty decent for a PSN title. The avatars seem to have giant heads compared to the rest of their bodies (and their animations all seem to be in sync with each other which is kind of creepy). Otherwise, the graphics are pretty nice, they recreated the wheel and the board perfectly.

Framerate: It's mostly 60fps which is a nice break from all of the 30fps titles on the PS3, but usually that's a defacto standard on PSN titles as we've all come to expect.

Sound: They were able to get all of the original sound effects of Wheel of Fortune in there nicely. Unfortunately, they didn't decide to do any voices in there, and there's no Pat or Vanna sorry. They could have at least added in some "WHEEL... OF... FORTUNE!" or some ambient sounds of the crowd while you're playing (other than the general oohs when you mess up or the same generic clapping whether you hit $300 or $5000). (and don't argue with me about filesize because at 64kbps rate it would have taken less than about 2mb to throw in a "sorry there are no A-Z's")

Gameplay: Playing online is a crapshoot, most of the people I've played with should be actual contestants on the gameshow, and otherwise there's a lot of quitting mid-game and the like. If you're going online, just host your own game. As far as single player, there's only one difficulty to the game, and the computer is fairly random in its difficulty yet predictable in most of its moves. At times they will literally give the game to you, and other times you won't even have a chance to throw a consonant up on the board. Usually I've found that, regardless of how many vowels are left, the computer will attempt to solve when you've got about 2-3 consonants left on the board. Most of the time the computer is pretty nice even when it knows the puzzle and will buy up all the vowels before solving so it doesn't completely rape you. Most games though I kill the computer by about $10k, others not so much. There are also no showcases and no prizes much to my disappointment, that's the whole fun of "The Wheel!" They've added in 3 "toss-up" rounds too (2 at the beginning and 1 before the final round) where they throw letters up on the board once a second and you try and solve the puzzle. After a while you get to realize how annoying it is.

Trophies: Most of the trophies are pretty straight-forward, however, there are 2 to pay particular attention to. One is the "Lucky Letter" for correctly guessing a Q, X, or Z in a puzzle (I got lucky on one puzzle that had a Z), this one is completely random of course and you're lucky if you get it. The other is the silver for visiting all Road Trip cities, which is done completely at random and every Round Trip tour only goes to 3 of the cities, so some people spend hours on end trying to get them so they can unlock this trophy according to ps3trophies.org (and apparently, it has to all be done in one game setting). The online one is a pain in the ass but here's an easy way to do it, just host a game, and if the other 2 people quit just finish out the round and you'll get your online trophy, then you'll never need to play online again. They should have fleshed out the online trophies a little better but they didn't.

Overall: For a little $10 PSN time-waster title, it's not a bad one. If you're looking for a full on Wheel of Fortune experience though, just watch the TV show because you won't find it here... However, they've recreated enough of the gameshow to make it decent for what you pay for.
    JamesSoprano
    JamesSoprano

Number of posts : 328
    Registration date : 2009-02-16

Wheel of Fortune / PSN Empty Re: Wheel of Fortune / PSN

Post  JamesSoprano Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:33 am

BitRunner wrote:Graphics: The graphics are pretty decent for a PSN title. The avatars seem to have giant heads compared to the rest of their bodies (and their animations all seem to be in sync with each other which is kind of creepy). Otherwise, the graphics are pretty nice, they recreated the wheel and the board perfectly.

Framerate: It's mostly 60fps which is a nice break from all of the 30fps titles on the PS3, but usually that's a defacto standard on PSN titles as we've all come to expect.

Sound: They were able to get all of the original sound effects of Wheel of Fortune in there nicely. Unfortunately, they didn't decide to do any voices in there, and there's no Pat or Vanna sorry. They could have at least added in some "WHEEL... OF... FORTUNE!" or some ambient sounds of the crowd while you're playing (other than the general oohs when you mess up or the same generic clapping whether you hit $300 or $5000). (and don't argue with me about filesize because at 64kbps rate it would have taken less than about 2mb to throw in a "sorry there are no A-Z's")

Gameplay: Playing online is a crapshoot, most of the people I've played with should be actual contestants on the gameshow, and otherwise there's a lot of quitting mid-game and the like. If you're going online, just host your own game. As far as single player, there's only one difficulty to the game, and the computer is fairly random in its difficulty yet predictable in most of its moves. At times they will literally give the game to you, and other times you won't even have a chance to throw a consonant up on the board. Usually I've found that, regardless of how many vowels are left, the computer will attempt to solve when you've got about 2-3 consonants left on the board. Most of the time the computer is pretty nice even when it knows the puzzle and will buy up all the vowels before solving so it doesn't completely rape you. Most games though I kill the computer by about $10k, others not so much. There are also no showcases and no prizes much to my disappointment, that's the whole fun of "The Wheel!" They've added in 3 "toss-up" rounds too (2 at the beginning and 1 before the final round) where they throw letters up on the board once a second and you try and solve the puzzle. After a while you get to realize how annoying it is.

Trophies: Most of the trophies are pretty straight-forward, however, there are 2 to pay particular attention to. One is the "Lucky Letter" for correctly guessing a Q, X, or Z in a puzzle (I got lucky on one puzzle that had a Z), this one is completely random of course and you're lucky if you get it. The other is the silver for visiting all Road Trip cities, which is done completely at random and every Round Trip tour only goes to 3 of the cities, so some people spend hours on end trying to get them so they can unlock this trophy according to ps3trophies.org (and apparently, it has to all be done in one game setting). The online one is a pain in the ass but here's an easy way to do it, just host a game, and if the other 2 people quit just finish out the round and you'll get your online trophy, then you'll never need to play online again. They should have fleshed out the online trophies a little better but they didn't.

Overall: For a little $10 PSN time-waster title, it's not a bad one. If you're looking for a full on Wheel of Fortune experience though, just watch the TV show because you won't find it here... However, they've recreated enough of the gameshow to make it decent for what you pay for.

Interesting Review Bitrunner.. i always wondered how the game was and if i should buy it some day or not .. but glad i didn't
    BitRunner
    BitRunner
    Code Breaker

Post  BitRunner Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:41 am

JamesSoprano wrote:
    BitRunner wrote:Graphics: The graphics are pretty decent for a PSN title. The avatars seem to have giant heads compared to the rest of their bodies (and their animations all seem to be in sync with each other which is kind of creepy). Otherwise, the graphics are pretty nice, they recreated the wheel and the board perfectly.

Interesting Review Bitrunner.. i always wondered how the game was and if i should buy it some day or not .. but glad i didn't

In defense of Wheel, I'm not saying it's not worth what you pay for (which I think is about $10 right?), it's just not everything it could be by a landslide. However, it's not as bad as the epic disappointment of Jeopardy on PSN and it's not as painful as Buzz! Quiz TV.

At the very least though, they should have added some Leaderboards.
    JamesSoprano
    JamesSoprano

Number of posts : 328
    Registration date : 2009-02-16

Post  JamesSoprano Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:52 am

I Liked Buzz Quiz TV. it's just what it is and i rather it over Jeopardy. but i always wanted too play Buzz Quiz TV online and i never Have
    jiggyteddy
    jiggyteddy
    Hard Boiled

Number of posts : 203
    Registration date : 2009-02-18

Post  jiggyteddy Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:20 pm

I have to agree with whit and the Jeopardy comparison.

At least Wheel didn't go and charge the same price as Jeopardy.
    BitRunner
    BitRunner
    Code Breaker

Post  BitRunner Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:38 pm

jiggyteddy wrote:I have to agree with whit and the Jeopardy comparison.

At least Wheel didn't go and charge the same price as Jeopardy.

Bit you mean? Very Happy
    BitRunner
    BitRunner
    Code Breaker

Post  BitRunner Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:41 pm

JamesSoprano wrote:I Liked Buzz Quiz TV. it's just what it is and i rather it over Jeopardy. but i always wanted too play Buzz Quiz TV online and i never Have

Buzz is actually somewhat decent until you get into online playing. The major problem with it is the horribly glitchy nature of the online server stats that I assume they're never going to fix, of which are dependent on you unlocking the online trophies. For example, I've played probably 45 or so online games I believe (according to the leaderboards) and have still not unlocked the trophy for playing 40 online games.

The game is so damn frustrating in that regard that people on ps3trophies.org have talked about breaking the Blu-Ray disc for it after they ultimately get their Platinums in angry and vengeful ways. Some people have actually gotten like 80+ online wins and still not unlocked the trophy for 50+ online wins.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content