The Nameless Ones

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Nameless Ones

WELCOME TO THE N1 FORUMS

+3
Veago
CrashMurphy
groovy341
7 posters

Music That Fellow Forumers Enjoy

groovy341
    groovy341
    Pro Bowler

Number of posts : 146
    Registration date : 2009-03-04

Music That Fellow Forumers Enjoy Empty Music That Fellow Forumers Enjoy

Post  groovy341 Thu Mar 12, 2009 5:55 pm

I am a bit of a musician myself but before dabbling in music myself I was an avid listener. I feel that music in all of its glorious forms is a representation of life. Most of it anyway. The people that make the music take from their experiences and pour it onto paper and fill it with beauty for all to behold a bit of themselves.

All that being said I would like to know what music groups or genres and the like everyone that is interested in sharing listen to and why and what it means to you. See, I feel that you can truly get a handle on a person by knowing what music feels them with what emotions. So, all of that being said I will give you a glimpse into my soul. Only a glimpse because being so avid about music I listen to far too much to put it all down and explain why. But, enough with the babble on to the heart.

Fifteen - A band that is fronted by an aging gutter punk turned activist. Jeff Ott is his name and he is a great guy. He is good friends with my fiancé and his songs speak about the injustices suffered upon man by man. His lyrics speak about drug addictions and recovery which are a big part of my life.

Leftover Crack - People in the NY scene may know of them. They are an anti-homophobic, anti-racist, anti-fascist outfit of misfits. The band is comprised of squatters. They also sing about human cruelty, police brutality (of particular note is a song called Operation M.O.V.E. it is about MOVE read up on it) They have songs about the capitalistic death machine that is world trade, and they speak about the perpetuation of keeping the poor subdued through fear.

Slipknot - I love me some angry metal. I am not a very angry guy, actually I am quite the opposite and am very soft spoken but there is something about loud hateful music that makes me want to punch babies. It isn't so much the lyrics as it is the sound but I have to admit that some of their lyrics are very deep.

Johnny Cash - You just have to love the Man in Black. I am originally from Alabama, well I lived there from 2 - 8 so yeah there is a little bit of country somewhere deep down, but none of that white male supremacy that seems to go hand in hand with it.

Techno - love the beat. Nuff said

Punk - Love the message.

Metal - Love the anger

Rap - But only Slug & Murs, and the group they tend to rap with Atmosphere.

There is so much more but that's all you get for now.
    CrashMurphy
    CrashMurphy
    Pro Bowler

Number of posts : 144
    Registration date : 2009-02-18

Music That Fellow Forumers Enjoy Empty Re: Music That Fellow Forumers Enjoy

Post  CrashMurphy Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:02 pm

When I was in high school, I used to say I liked Techno only because I didn't realize that it was just a sub-genre of Electronica. I figured Techno WAS all Electronica. Now that I'm more educated in the subject, I prefer Trance, House and Dance music. Techno just seems too "heavy" sometimes. I prefer the lighter feeling of the sub-genres I mentioned.

And then there's the standard staple of rock/college-rock/alternative bands that I listen to. I like some R&B, and I'll listen to some rap too but not a lot. Not a big metal fan either.
    Veago
    Veago
    Pro Bowler

Number of posts : 134
    Registration date : 2009-03-06

Post  Veago Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:04 pm

i like music from near enough EVERY genre...i have songs from them all......i think my favourite is Rock tho, love some of the guitars. fav band, Linkin Park Razz
    BFrosty
    BFrosty
    Beta

Number of posts : 11
    Registration date : 2009-03-12

Post  BFrosty Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:44 pm

What music soothes this beast? This is one topic I very rarely entertain. A little known fact regarding myself, is my love of classical music. I am a huge fan of Leonard Bernstein, and I absolutely enjoy George Frideric Handel's work. I was exposed to the classical genera as a child, and as an adult, found that classical music actually boosts my brain power and stimulates creativity. Other forms of music only serve to fill my spirit with angst, anger, or sadness. So I feed my spirit only that which I feel enriches it, which is classical music. when I tell people I listen to classical exclusively, I usually get a strange look or a laugh, like I must be crazy. Alas, to each their own, what floats one's boat may not float another.
    groovy341
    groovy341
    Pro Bowler

Post  groovy341 Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:02 pm

CrashMurphy wrote:When I was in high school, I used to say I liked Techno only because I didn't realize that it was just a sub-genre of Electronica. I figured Techno WAS all Electronica. Now that I'm more educated in the subject, I prefer Trance, House and Dance music. Techno just seems too "heavy" sometimes. I prefer the lighter feeling of the sub-genres I mentioned.

And then there's the standard staple of rock/college-rock/alternative bands that I listen to. I like some R&B, and I'll listen to some rap too but not a lot. Not a big metal fan either.

You are very correct sir and I used the nomenclature Techno because that is what most people think of instead of Electronica but I would have to say that out of the Electronica genre I prefer Gabber above all. Now that is heavy.
    groovy341
    groovy341
    Pro Bowler

Post  groovy341 Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:05 pm

BFrosty wrote:What music soothes this beast? This is one topic I very rarely entertain. A little known fact regarding myself, is my love of classical music. I am a huge fan of Leonard Bernstein, and I absolutely enjoy George Frideric Handel's work. I was exposed to the classical genera as a child, and as an adult, found that classical music actually boosts my brain power and stimulates creativity. Other forms of music only serve to fill my spirit with angst, anger, or sadness. So I feed my spirit only that which I feel enriches it, which is classical music. when I tell people I listen to classical exclusively, I usually get a strange look or a laugh, like I must be crazy. Alas, to each their own, what floats one's boat may not float another.

I do like a bit of classical myself. Though for my money I have to say I love Vivaldi if I am going to sit and relax. I know how that sounds but given the other musical tastes that I have I think you may be able to entertain your own assumptions of how Vivaldi can make me relax.
    BFrosty
    BFrosty
    Beta

Number of posts : 11
    Registration date : 2009-03-12

Post  BFrosty Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:25 pm

groovy341 wrote:
    BFrosty wrote:What music soothes this beast? This is one topic I very rarely entertain. A little known fact regarding myself, is my love of classical music. I am a huge fan of Leonard Bernstein, and I absolutely enjoy George Frideric Handel's work. I was exposed to the classical genera as a child, and as an adult, found that classical music actually boosts my brain power and stimulates creativity. Other forms of music only serve to fill my spirit with angst, anger, or sadness. So I feed my spirit only that which I feel enriches it, which is classical music. when I tell people I listen to classical exclusively, I usually get a strange look or a laugh, like I must be crazy. Alas, to each their own, what floats one's boat may not float another.

I do like a bit of classical myself. Though for my money I have to say I love Vivaldi if I am going to sit and relax. I know how that sounds but given the other musical tastes that I have I think you may be able to entertain your own assumptions of how Vivaldi can make me relax.

I agree with you about Vivaldi, I get a good dose of Vivaldi daily when listening to the KDFC's Island of Sanity broadcast.
    JamesSoprano
    JamesSoprano

Number of posts : 328
    Registration date : 2009-02-16

Post  JamesSoprano Fri Mar 13, 2009 2:05 pm

I am a type of person who doesn't have favorites i listen to a litle bit of everything. from rap to pop to techno and country and Jazz or Classical. tho i have to say i never really opened doors too classical and Jazz much .. only cause i can only handle so much of it and specific sounds or music are in songs for example...

in the video game Saints Row for the 360 they have classical music and i have to say this .. this is better classical then any GTA game i heard i normally don't listen to GTA's classical station just talk shows ... anyways the game had Mozart and Beethoven along with some others i'm not aware of but some of the Beethoven and Mozart music was great some i didn't care for.... if only i had a way to find out the beethoven and Mozart songs i liked ( the titles ) i would tell you all

and about 3 years ago here in Canada a radio station CBC Radio 2 ( their's a CBC Radio 1 as well but this didn't have this show ) they had a 1 hour program called " After Hours " and i would listen too it sometimes on the way home and if a song was on i couldn't stand listening too i would turn it to something else but i would try and listen too it as much as possible and the DJ had a wonderfull calm voice and his voice was great to hear while listening to JAZZ on that station. and i was always interested in what he always used for a break cause they would play music for a bit and then he would come on and speak and then put another song on and then come out and speak and when the 11:10 - 11:15 mark came he would say ok we will be back after this news break and then we will be back with more of after hours with me the hose ( his name ) and then a tune would play for about 15 - 25 seconds and i loved the tune i later found out the song was called " El by Bugge Wesseltoft " it's a great no words just easy listening to sounds. shortly after the show came off the air which was on for about a good 20 years or little more but he was a oung guy so i know he wasn't always the producer haha.

sorry for the long chatter just thought i tell you my exeprience in how i got alittle more into Jazz and Classical. but one other group i have to mention that's pop, Jazz, and other types of music style rolled into one i discovered just after highschool about 5 years ago is called " Digable Planets " alot of people i ask they never heard of the group i know they are well known as they won a few awards i believe, i won't ramble on much more but their beats are good and it's what drags me in .. sometimes i don't really pay attention to their lyrics as the rythem and beats dragged me into listening to them more.

does anyone know any of these bands or groups i mentioned ??
    groovy341
    groovy341
    Pro Bowler

Post  groovy341 Fri Mar 13, 2009 3:52 pm

JamesSoprano wrote:I am a type of person who doesn't have favorites i listen to a litle bit of everything. from rap to pop to techno and country and Jazz or Classical. tho i have to say i never really opened doors too classical and Jazz much .. only cause i can only handle so much of it and specific sounds or music are in songs for example...

in the video game Saints Row for the 360 they have classical music and i have to say this .. this is better classical then any GTA game i heard i normally don't listen to GTA's classical station just talk shows ... anyways the game had Mozart and Beethoven along with some others i'm not aware of but some of the Beethoven and Mozart music was great some i didn't care for.... if only i had a way to find out the beethoven and Mozart songs i liked ( the titles ) i would tell you all

and about 3 years ago here in Canada a radio station CBC Radio 2 ( their's a CBC Radio 1 as well but this didn't have this show ) they had a 1 hour program called " After Hours " and i would listen too it sometimes on the way home and if a song was on i couldn't stand listening too i would turn it to something else but i would try and listen too it as much as possible and the DJ had a wonderfull calm voice and his voice was great to hear while listening to JAZZ on that station. and i was always interested in what he always used for a break cause they would play music for a bit and then he would come on and speak and then put another song on and then come out and speak and when the 11:10 - 11:15 mark came he would say ok we will be back after this news break and then we will be back with more of after hours with me the hose ( his name ) and then a tune would play for about 15 - 25 seconds and i loved the tune i later found out the song was called " El by Bugge Wesseltoft " it's a great no words just easy listening to sounds. shortly after the show came off the air which was on for about a good 20 years or little more but he was a oung guy so i know he wasn't always the producer haha.

sorry for the long chatter just thought i tell you my exeprience in how i got alittle more into Jazz and Classical. but one other group i have to mention that's pop, Jazz, and other types of music style rolled into one i discovered just after highschool about 5 years ago is called " Digable Planets " alot of people i ask they never heard of the group i know they are well known as they won a few awards i believe, i won't ramble on much more but their beats are good and it's what drags me in .. sometimes i don't really pay attention to their lyrics as the rythem and beats dragged me into listening to them more.

does anyone know any of these bands or groups i mentioned ??

I know of Digable Planets. I think I have seen them live at either the Phoenix Theater or the Mystic once. They are not bad in my opinion
    Wolverine8780
    Wolverine8780
    Flying Couch

Number of posts : 45
    Registration date : 2009-02-24

Post  Wolverine8780 Sat Mar 14, 2009 11:40 am

I'm a rock n roller .... Queen , Metallica , Rush , Motorhead , Megadeth , The Beatles , Led Zep , Def Leppard , Motley Crue , ZZ Top , Hendrix , Thin Lizzy , System of a Down , Ted Nugent , Peter Frampton , Judas Priest .... need I say more?

As for currently , I am listening to Rush - Moving Pictures - 05 - The Camera Eye ... loved singing the bits of this in Rock Band 2.

Last edited by Wolverine8780 on Sat Mar 14, 2009 11:43 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : forgot to add something)
    NJShadow
    NJShadow
    Pro Bowler

Registration date : 2009-02-20

Post  NJShadow Sat Mar 14, 2009 12:59 pm

I'm into quite literally EVERYTHING.

-Pop
    -Rock
    -Rap
    -Jazz
    -Country
    -J-Pop
    -Classical
    -Gospel

YOU NAME IT.

I'll probably post YouTube videos of what I'm currently listening to at some point. Smile

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:24 pm